Europe’s internet ecosystem: socio-economic benefits of a fairer balance between tech giants and telecom operators
Axon Partners Group Consulting was commissioned by the European Telecommunications Network Operators’ Association (ETNO) to conduct an independent study on the impact of big tech hyperscalers on communications networks. The study outlines the fact that the tech giants have driven a staggering 10-fold growth in data traffic over the past ten years, but made little or no economic contribution to the development of national networks. It shows that, with an illustrative yearly contribution of €20 billion from the big tech firms to the development of telecommunications infrastructure, EU’s GDP could raise by €72 billion in 2025 and could bring substantial environmental benefits.
Our report argues that Europe requires a new funding model to deliver the world-class digital infrastructure it needs to remain competitive.
Read Press Release
In the media
Below are some related articles which offer further reading on this topic:
- Reuters: EU’s Vestager assessing if tech giants should share telecoms network costs
- Finance News: European telcos seek network investment from Big Tech and streamers & More
- Financial Times: European telcos seek network investment from Big Tech and streamers
- TECHZINE: Report: Europe should make big tech pay for telecoms expansion
- Telecompaper: EU Telcos call for mandatory bargaining with tech giants to contribute to network costs
- POLITICO: Brussels’ next lobbying dogfight: Big Tech vs. Big Telecoms